Museum of the Preveli Monastery

A substantial number of icons is kept in the Monastery of Preveli. The icons compose interesting teams, covering a period from the first half of the 17th to the end of 19th century approximately, an era that the good tradition of Crete has been interrupted by the Turkish conquest. The painters continue the tradition of the late Cretan school of painting, turning equally into account the austere orthodox tendency as well as the copper painting of the masters of the first half of 17th century in Rethymnon and Chania, influenced by the western ones, mainly the Flemish. The choice in the selection of the various themes of the icons indicates a satisfactory level of culture of the monks - purchasers at the end of 19th century, considering the distance from the urban centers and the isolation of the area.

The Monastery of Preveli possessed substantial richness of sacerdotal vestments and other relics, due to the respect it enjoyed by the inhabitants of the southern provinces of the island, most of which were engaged with seatrade and other relevant activities.
During the periods of uprising a great number of valuable monastery items were sold to raise funds for arms and ammunition. There are the following collections in the little museum of the Monastery:
  • Collection of icons.
  • Collection of ecclesiastical garments.
  • Collection of ecclesiastical vessels.
  • Collection of heirlooms.
The most important exhibits of the Museum are:
  • Sigillium on a parchment declaring the monastery as stauropegion, 1798.
  • Gold - plated silver cross with enamels and semi - precious stones 1708.
  • Silver bound Evangile, 1807.
  • Evangile with gold - plated silver cover, 1847.
  • Lectionnary with silver cover, 19th century.
  • Gold - plated chalice with cover, 1847.
  • Collection of metal seals, 19th century.
  • Collection of metal fibulae, 19th century.
  • Collection of gold - embroidered vestments, 19th century.
  • Collection of ecclesiastical liturgical vessels.

Also, in the Museum is exposed an Assembly/ Display in relation to the story about The Battle of Crete, sent to the Monastery by the Greek community of Perth, W. Australia.